Healthy Chocolate & Chickpea Brownies
Recipe by Andy Kappes, Kintsugi Health Food Coach
Everybody loves a good chocolate brownie, even though we know that they may not be the healthiest things for us to eat. That’s why I came up with this healthy alternative!
These healthy chocolate and chickpea brownies may sound a bit strange, but they are absolutely delicious and also gluten free. There is also a lot less sugar in this recipe.
My husband, who is a very fussy brownie eater (!) loves them.
400g can chickpeas
200g dark chocolate
¼ cup maple syrup (or rice syrup) or natvia
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Line a slice tin (18cm x 28cm) with baking paper.
- Process chickpeas in a food processor or blender until it is pureed and smooth. You can also have it chunky if you prefer.
- In a large bowl, add butter and break up the chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring each time until melted together. Take care not to burn the chocolate. Once melted, stir together until combined.
- Add chickpeas, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, salt, coconut & bicarb soda. Stir together until combined. Pour into slice tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 mins. Place in fridge to harden, then slice into pieces. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
TIP – cut into tiny squares, if you like – that way, you can have a little taste, without eating a huge piece!